Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Any Regret? Yes, outside my family!


Regret- Outside My Family
Thinking about the way I dated fueled by my own insecurity and inaccurate view of what it means to be a "real man", I regret that I missed opportunities to get to know some wonderful young ladies.  I didn't date that much,  but in high school and college did date some wonderful ladies. 

I eventually met and married another wonderful lady named Carol, who is my wife of almost 40 years.  The regret I have is that I could have developed friendships with each of these ladies but didn't and, honestly, didn't know how.

Had I the opportunity to rewind and re-date, I would spend the time getting to know these special ladies without introducing the typical, cultural, "romantic" elements so often practiced and so inadequate at showing true love, respect, and friendship.

By the time I met Carol, I had finally come to healthier conclusions about the relationship I hoped to build, and we "dated better".  Each of these ladies was principled and gracious.  I simply regret not knowing them on a heart level as I could have and should have.

Having friends and being a real friend mean more to me now than I can describe.  I am so grateful to God for allowing me to be in a relationship with my wife Carol that includes a growing friendship, true fellowship as believers in Jesus, and the blessing of a romantic love that continues to bloom over the years.

Next post:   Regrets - About My Patriotism

No comments:

Post a Comment